Five contemporary works by jewelry artist Anna Hu, including a show stopping diamond necklace, will headline Sotheby's Magnificent Jewels and Jadeite Autumn Sale in Hong Kong on October 7.
Sotheby's provided Hu with the 100.02 carat fancy intense yellow diamond that is the colorful focal point of the Dunhuang Pipa necklace. The impressive piece, which resembles a four-stringed Chinese lute, is expected to fetch $5 million to $6.25 million.
Titled the "Silk Road Music Collection," Hu's latest designs were inspired by the musical and cultural exchanges that took place on the Silk Road, an ancient trade route that connected China with the Mediterranean Sea. The route was active from the 2nd century BC until the 18th century AD.
“It is absolutely a pleasure to collaborate with Sotheby’s on this project and be given the opportunity to work with the 100.02 carat yellow diamond, which is a true gift from nature," Hu said. "I want this collection to speak to my Chinese roots, and I thought the beauty of jewels could be enhanced with a touch of the traditional, yet exotic, music that once flowed through the Silk Road.”
Here's a review of the five-piece collection:
• The Dunhuang Pipa Necklace. Designed and mounted by Hu, the convertible necklace has a silhouette inspired by Dunhuang murals depicting women playing the pipa (a Chinese lute). The necklace can be transformed into a brooch and earring ensemble for the modern-day woman who appreciates intricate designs with a versatile twist. Estimate: $5 million to $6.25 million.
• Cello: Jadeite, Diamond and Pink Sapphire Brooch. This cello brooch takes inspiration from Picasso’s "Violin Hanging on the Wall," which is housed in Switzerland’s Museum of Fine Arts Bern and is composed of jadeites ranging from 1.43 carats to 34.93 carats. The largest green stones are outlined with white and yellow diamonds. Estimate: $280,000 to $350,000.
• Blue Magpie: Conch Pearl, Gem and Diamond Brooch. Inspired by the works of Giuseppe Castiglione, the Jesuit missionary and painter at the imperial court of China, Hu extracted the essence of Eastern arts and applied it in the design of the Blue Magpie Brooch. Rendered with 500 gems, two blue magpies perch on delicate tree branches, resulting in a colorful creation that combines Chinese aesthetics and Western aristocracy. Estimate: $190,000 to $225,000.
• Ellington: Pair of Conch Pearl, Sapphire and Diamond Earrings. Combining the two loves of her life – music and jewelry — Hu visualizes an enchanting jazz melody through the creation of Ellington Earrings. Composed of blue sapphires, baguette-cut and modified-cut diamonds, each of the earrings is highlighted with a conch pearl that connotes a musical note. Estimate: $280,000 to $350,000.
• Appassionata: Ruby and Diamond Ring. Hu uses five rare rubies to represent the black piano keys in this three-finger ring. The piece is outlined with white diamonds and represents a whimsical interpretation of a classical jazz riff. Estimate: $80,000 to $100,000.
Credits: Images courtesy of Sotheby's.